Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Feeding therapy evaluation

today was the long awaited evaluation. we had rescheduled it from last week beacuse she was still recuperating from her gastro bug. I was told to be there at 10, but got a message on my machine that they are expecting me at 11. I was going to call at 9 but my service coordinater beat me to it and called at 8:30 am.... she said it was her mistake, eval is at 11.

we got to the building  perfectly on time and the service coordinater was late. we where rushed through the eval because the evaluaters where late to a work meeting..... R. really outdid herself and followed every single bit of their instructions. she kept cradling a doll and saying 'ah ah baby' and giving it hugs. the only thing she didn't do properly is give the doll its bottle, but then again she dosn't hold her own bottle yet either....afterwards she climbed up some huge soft blocks and I had to go rescue her.

I felt like they really rushed through the meeting and didn't listen to my concerns, they just kept saying that she is adorable and can do everything properly and probably won't be approved for feeding therapy.... I tried telling them that the ped insisted on therapy since its behavioral but they didn't acknoledge me, they just said that since it  isn't a oral moter issue she most probably won't be approved.

tomorrow they are sending me a nutritionist for a 1 time visit, hopefully she will be able to help us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So what happened in the end? Did they tell you if she is approved or not? I fail to see the connection between being adorable and having feeding issues. I'm sorry you felt rushed.
I know what it's like to be wringing your hands over your baby's well being. I hope you get to the bottom of this soon!

LEDesign said...

they called me today, the speech therapist isn't approving her, the nutritionist wants to but they usually don't do nutrition without feeding therapy. we have a few options now:

1-apply only for nutrition
2-request mediation/fair hearing
3-she will find out if I can go right away to get an evaluation elsewhere
4-wait 3 months and get her reevaluated by a different therapist (Genei)

meanwhile she lost another few ounces.... I'm going to talk to my ped soon, taking in the the results from the endoscopy and we will see what happens next